Harvey Milk Civil Rights Academy

Harvey Milk Civil Rights Academy is a small, public alternative elementary school located in the heart of the Castro District - San Francisco. We are dedicated to achieving academic excellence, teaching tolerance and nonviolence, celebrating diversity, and building a strong family - school - community connection.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My walking

=======================================putting the steps on the pavement

So yesterday I walked, I walked maybe five miles.  

In my walking I am noticing things that I would and have otherwise missed.  My walking attention is most focused on people, people busy passing me, people sitting in cars at red lights, people hurrying along, people running, people talking, people jogging, people laughing, people on benches reading, people engaged in all sorts of stuff.

My walking attention is also very observant of people who seem to have been forgotten, ignored, not cared for, been given up on, and let go of.  Who are these people?  They are the people living on the fringes of our communities.  They are the people deserving of all life has to offer.  They are the people dealing with all sorts of life obstacles, some they created through making poor choices, some created by everything else.  

What can we do?  What can I do?  Well there are all sorts of things, starting with caring, which most everyone does.  Something more can be done too, something called EDUCATION.  The better everyone is educated, the stronger our communities, the better critical thing skills we have collectively, the better choices we make in our personal lives, the better our society.
Lets walk....walk in support of public education.

2 Comments:

Blogger John Avalos said...

Hi Kelly, I lost your email address and wanted to get in touch about the walk! We met at the T4SJ meeting. Email me at karen_zapata@yahoo.com

July 16, 2008 at 9:59 PM  
Blogger ellyn parker said...

Walk on Ladies..
thank you for being a light in the darkness

July 21, 2008 at 7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home